Ordnance Survey Ireland (OSi) has a history of promoting advances in practice and technology, and OSi today is one of the most technologically advanced organisations of its kind in the world. The mission is excellence in providing quality mapping and geographic information services to meet society’s needs, and their mandate from the Government of Ireland describes how they achieve this.
The Ordnance Survey Office was established in 1824 to carry out a survey of the entire island to update land valuations for land taxation purposes. The new operation was established in Mountjoy House in the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Mountjoy House was originally built in 1728 as the country residence of Luke Gardiner. It later housed the mounted escort to the Lord Lieutenant, who resided in the Vice-regal Lodge (now ras an Uachtarin). Mountjoy House and the surrounding buildings still serve as the headquarters of Ordnance Survey Ireland.
OSI provides numerous map and digital map products including maps, photoos, atlas’ and digital data at the following scale:
- 1:1000 vector
- 1:2500 vector
- 1:10,560 vector
- 1:50,000 vector
- 1:250,000 vector